Zoning and Building Safety Department
Frequently Asked Questions:
Please remember that all of the Questions and Answers only apply to properties in Unincorporated Rock Island County. If you live in a city or village please check with their Zoning Department for their rules and regulations.
- How can I find you?
- The Rock Island County Zoning & Building Office is located at 1504 Third Avenue, Rock Island IL, 61201, on the Third Floor. Office hours are 7:00-10:00 AM and 2:30-4:30 PM, Monday through Friday excluding holidays. From 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM inspectors are in the field.
- When is the best time to call?
- The Zoning Investigator's normal office hours are between 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM and 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM. Questions and permits may be handled all day, but specific requests for these persons should be made during the hours shown, otherwise, inspectors are in the field daily
- What codes has Rock Island County adopted?
- Click here to go to the Codes section of our website.
- Where can I get Copies of these codes?
- Check the downloads section of this website.
- How much land do I need to build a house?
- This varies depending on where the property is located. The smallest parcels may be 20,000 square feet (just shy of 1/2 acre). If you are looking at a property that is in the extreme outlying areas, Rock Island County may require a minimum of 40 acres for a building site. Your best bet is contact Greg Thorpe .
Back to top