Chief County Assessment Office
Property Tax Relief
Historic Property Exemption
Certain owner occupied residences could quality for a preferential assessed value for an eight year period of time if:
- The residence is a historic building meaning an owner occupied single family residence or an owner occupied multi family residence and the tract, lot or parcel upon which it is located, if:
- Individually listed on the National Register of Historic places or the Illinois Register of Historic Places;
- Individually designated pursuant to an approved county or municipal landmark ordinance; or
- Within a district listed on the National Register of Historic Places or designated pursuant to an approved county or municipal landmark ordinance.
- The residence is under substantial rehabilitation meaning interior or exterior rehabilitation work that preserves the historic building in a manner that significantly improves its condition.
For more information regarding the Historic Property Exemption, call the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency at (217) 782-8168.